Sunday, November 30, 2014

Blog #5: Technology Action Plan

A terrific article by Scott Steinberg lists ten ways every teacher should remain technologically aware and advanced. Of the ten, there are several in which I can relate, saying, "Yes, that's me!" Yet there are several at which I have to grimace, saying, "Yikes. I could work on that." Being a product of the generation I am in, I am very aware of the ways to operate popular apps, gadgets, and online services. Also, I am very fluent in "American". This includes the recent lingo that children are not only learning, but also creating, as you read this. I understand social networks and how to invent smart passwords that will protect from the adverse effects of this technology-driven world. However, I am often at a loss as to troubleshooting and where to turn for help when I'm at my wit's end. Unless Google or my dad can give me answers, I'm stuck. In these ways, I need to become more adept.
Now, what are some ways that I will advance the use of technology in my own classroom? After researching what others are doing, and some advice other teachers offer, I have narrowed down my ideas for using technology. A couple of these include the use of blogs, and the use of twitter. An article by Lisa on the website Simple K12 explains fifteen ways that any teacher and his/her students can use blogs in the classroom. The few that I most connected with were meet the author, where you have a specific author connect with the students through a blog; blog-pals, which is much like the pen-pals of yesterday, except the children will connect with a student from another school the teacher has collaborated with; and conducting an online survey, which is where the teacher creates a survey for either the students or the parents and connects it to the classroom blog. An article by Samantha Miller gives 50 ways in which twitter can be used in the classroom. Once the teacher makes a classroom twitter, he/she can use this social media tool to his/her advantage. Not only is the teacher speaking the students language and interacting in something they enjoy, he/she is also teaching through Twitter! Some examples from the website are: track memes or a hashtag, write a short story or poem, plan field trips, play the stock market game, teach probability, take a poll, network with other teachers and schools. There are many more opportunities, so if you think education through Twitter is crazy, check out Miller's article.

Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment